Monday, 23 September 2013

Feedback request


Three weeks ago, I put up a post about Europeans who disguised themselves as Indians during the Mutiny. It turned out to be one of the most popular posts I've ever written. I have absolutely no idea why.

I write this blog in a vacuum. I enjoy writing it, but it takes a fair amount of time and I do it mainly to promote my books. I have no idea how successful or otherwise it is in doing this. I do know that if everyone who read it bought one of my books, I'd sell an awful lot more than I do, which would be nice (there's a link to Amazon here). What I don't know is how many fewer people would have bought the books if I didn't write this. So, for now at least, I carry on writing. It would be helpful, though, to know what makes people read some posts rather than others.

Posts about major historical figures get a lot of attention. The one I wrote about James Brooke just as 'The White Rajah' was being published has had more hits than anything else, followed by one about the Nana Sahib (one of the main characters in 'Cawnpore'). But recent posts about Clive of India or last week's offering on General Havelock have received very little attention at all.

The small war in Borneo earlier this year got rather more coverage on my blog than in the Western newspapers, so I can understand why that drew a lot of readers. Less easily explained is why a self-indulgent piece of mine about tango got so much interest that I wrote more and these continue to attract a significant amount of traffic.

I try to blog about 19th century colonial history, my own writing and other books about the period and a little bit about myself. I'm also happy to support friends who write or compose, because some of them are very good and, without huge marketing budgets, they rely on people like me to get the word out. Most of all, though, I try to write about things that interest you, my silent readers. Because if you're not interested in what I write, there's really not a lot of point. So, if there's anything that you would like to see more of, please use the 'Comments' here to let me know. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment